28 August, 2011

on the upswing

Just like that, the weather is cooling down, we're charging off in new directions, and help has arrived from generous family.

We went ahead and sold what was left of our stocks; they've been going up and down for years, but down more than up, and we decided that money would serve us better now than in some hypothetical future when the economy suddenly 'recovers'. I don't think we want the economy to return to what it was, but there you go. Then today my parents offered us a generous amount of money and we can pay our bills, and catch up on the ones that we fell behind with.

I have never fallen behind on a bill, ever, so the fact that this happened is a sign that we were far too busy and need to pay attention. We also have found ways to cut our costs even further, which is awesome, and we will still be able to manage some special treats for Asher's birthday on Sunday. (4th! wow!)

We've joined up with a local gleaning group, which is like a food pantry but we pay a monthly dues ($10) and volunteer at least 3 hours a month. This past week Milt took Asher to their community garden and they had a blast; he's planning to just go each week, and wants me to go too. I'm waffling; I love gardening, but we've got the wild card of Adin to factor in. We'll figure it out though; they are planning to overwinter the garden, and I definitely want to be involved in that.

Our own garden is holding steady; put in some more donated tomatoes, the garlic needs to come up, and the quinoa and tomatilloes are looking good. My one surviving bean plant looks pretty but doesn't seem interested in either growing or setting fruit, so it's just hanging out for now. There is a gorgeous thistle growing next to the box; once I find my battery charger I'll be able to take a picture of it. The queen anne's lace is starting to fade; it was gorgeous, and the volunteer blackberries are fruiting nicely; I am cutting out the canes as I harvest each one; they are a really vicious form of blackberry and need to come out, but the fruit was very nice and didn't need any help from us. I am planning on replacing it with some thornless varieties next year; they grew so well under the pines where nothing else did, so that' some more yard reclaimed for usefulness.

Spent the day just sorting and cleaning and working on projects; put a new seat in the wooden doll stroller/walker/shapes play activity thingy we bought Adin for his birthday, went to the farmer's market and got some produce and a few little baskets of blueberries, took Asher out to see what size bicycle would fit him (16" wheel) and now waiting for a reply from a craigslister with a promising bike. Good day all around. Tomorrow will be even better.

happily,
-nava

No comments: